Home > News - Pitopito kōrero > Overseas students seeking clinical placements

Overseas students seeking clinical placements

Overseas physiotherapy students seeking clinical placements, internships or work experience as part of their qualification are required to contact one of the Schools of Physiotherapy to see whether there is a possibility of an arrangement being made.

If you are contacted directly by an overseas physiotherapy student regarding a placement please put them in touch with either AUT or the University of Otago Schools of Physiotherapy.

If an overseas student is accepted by either School of Physiotherapy to undertake a clinical placement, the student is under direct supervision of the school while undertaking the placement, and considered to be a student of the school. The Schools of Physiotherapy may not always be able to accomodate requests from overseas physiotherapy students.

The Physiotherapy Board has no role in facilitating placements. If the Schools of Physiotherapy in New Zealand are unable to accommodate your request NO other type of arrangement is permissible.

The Ministry of Health has confirmed that overseas physiotherapy students in New Zealand must abide by the laws of New Zealand. Any physiotherapists in New Zealand independently offering work experience and/or supervision would themselves be in breach of the legislation if the arrangement took place.

Please note that without registration as physiotherapist in New Zealand it is an offence:

  • to work as a physiotherapist in any capacity in New Zealand (including voluntary work)
  • to call oneself a physiotherapist in New Zealand

Any person who does practise physiotherapy whilst not registered commits an offence and is liable to a fine of up to $10,000.